Image via Wikipedia
On top of Nelsons 46.400 people, our neighbour, the Tasman District adds another 44,600 people. So the region’s general population is just over 90,000. (data as of census 2006)
Over the last few decades our population has become increasingly more cosmopolitan, now being made up of many recent immigrants from the United Kingdom, Germany and the United States of America.
As of the 2006 Census,
- 80.4 percent of people in Nelson Region belong to the European ethnic group, compared with 67.6 percent for New Zealand as a whole.
- 8.7 percent of people in Nelson Region belong to the Māori ethnic group, compared with 14.6 percent for all of New Zealand.
- The median age (half are younger, and half older, than this age) is 39.4 years for people in Nelson Region. For New Zealand as a whole, the median age is 35.9 years.
- 14.5 percent of people in Nelson Region are aged 65 years and over, compared with 12.3 percent of the total New Zealand population.
- 19.2 percent of people are aged under 15 years in Nelson Region, compared with 21.5 percent for all of New Zealand.
Its population ranks 14th in size out of the 16 regions in New Zealand.
So to embark on your journey of Nelson, here’s some links to get you started….
Official Government Stats on Nelson
NZ Career Services – Govt Department
Working in Nelson
is there an opportunity for you in NZ?
thinking of moving to NZ
curious about gaining NZ residency
some real life migrant stories (more general NZ than Nelson specific)
UPDATE SEPT 2009
Apologies if some of these links don’t work, can’t understand why some govt sites can’t get with the time and make their stuff easy to find. If there is something you do need to know and want an unbiased opinion, just email me and I’ll do my best to point you in the right direction.