Archive for November, 2008
Whilst traditionally the viewings of real estate listings on websites starts to slow in late November and through December, the first week of January by contrast always sees a massive surge of viewings.
Over the past 2 years we have seen increases of between 40% and 50% in the month of January as compared to November and December – January generally results in the biggest month of the year for website visitors.
This year will be even bigger for realestate.co.nz and your listings on our site – why?
- Because with the closure of the website of allrealestate.co.nz the buyers will be flocking to our site
- All traffic from allrealestate.co.nz and realestate.com.au in Australia will be boosted even further the traffic to realestate.co.nz
- With more than 113,000 listings people will be very eager to review the most comprehensive selection of properties to make sure they get the best deal – realestate.co.nz remains the clear leader in content of any real estate website – this is what is important to serious property buyers
So get ready for a surge of interest and email enquiry (as well as telephone enquiries) as your listings are showcased to a global audience that will hit record levels in January.
November 27 2008 | Market stats and Web facts | No Comments »
In addition to all the new traffic to our website as a result of the closure of allrealestate and the re-direction of traffic from the start of December we have just reached an agreement with another major NZ website – MSN (www.msn.co.nz). This major news and lifestyle site attracts over 250,000 unique browsers per day, it is the 3rd largest website in NZ and realestate.co.nz will be the exclusive real estate section of the website from Monday.
This exposure adds to the existing relationship that realestate.co.nz has with Yahoo!Xtra which has over 300,000 unique browsers per day – so as you can see from the table below your listings on realestate.co.nz will from Monday be represented on the #2 and #3 website in NZ – giving exposure to over 500,000 unique browsers per day!!
November 27 2008 | Online marketing | No Comments »
It is no longer adequate to simply upload a handful of photos and craft a couple of sentences to make a listing on the web. You need to design and craft a listing with far more care and consideration than a magazine advert. For whilst it may not costs anything like the expenditure of a full page advert – a web listing will deliver far more enquiries and leads. Here are a couple of key pointers:
- Photos are the most important part of a listing – the more you have and the better their quality, the better your listing will look to prospective buyers and the more time they will spend looking at your listing – remember there is no restriction on our site – upload as many photos as you like, we commonly now have listings with between 30 and 40 photos
- Write a detailed description of the property – don’t abbreviate. The more information you provide the better the level of enquiry and the more you will be respected for providing rich valuable information
- Provide the address of the property – people expect it; and if you don’t provide it they will find it out. An address help buyer better understand the property, and with the benefits of Google maps on the site they gain an instant presentation of where the property is
- Be clear in the price expectation – we have made a major change to our site to allow you to be more accurate by adding text and prices to all listings. Have a read of this summary of this change in listing price presentation
- Promote your listing with a special featured listing – generate over 10 times the traffic of a standard listing – we have a new year special for you – check out a great way to start the new year – just $250 for 14 days of powerful promotion guaranteed to give you stand-out and over 10 times the views of an ordinary listing!
November 27 2008 | Online marketing and Photos and Special offers | No Comments »
The recent presentations that we made around the country focused on the need to build your skills in real estate marketing and online marketing. As was identified by Stefan Swanepoel earlier this year, there is an emerging new breed of real estate agents – skilled in managing information and negotiation, as this quote from Stefan’s book so rightly puts it
“Agents are no longer order takers and are looking to acquire skills to build their business” – Bill Shue, President, RealtyU
To assist this future trend I wanted to highlight the training services that the REINZ is providing for all professionals in this industry. They have a special offer on at the moment for on-the-job training at amazing prices (50% off the regular price) for a short time. Have a read of the details on the REINZ website.
November 27 2008 | Special offers | 2 Comments »
We are introducing in the next month a new focus on the website towards more local information to help buyers better understand the local community. This will provide you with a great opportunity to “profile yourself” as the local real estate expert in your local market.
We want to help you gain enquiries from prospective vendors looking for an agent to help them sell their home and through this build new business.
So how will it work? – Firstly we are creating a special “featured agent” profile on each search page as this screen shot shows. So if someone is looking at the suburb of Dallington in Christchurch (the most actively viewed suburb!) – there will be a profile for a single agent visible on every search page – a great way to get yourself seen by interested vendors! Every suburb will just have one agent – an exclusive opportunity.
At the same time we want to build a lot more information about each suburb in the country and this is where we need your help – and there is a reward for you.
We want you to help us by writing a brief summary of the suburb or suburbs you work in. We have set up a simple page here for you to write this description. The things we are looking for are:
- The attributes of the suburb that make it a great place to live
- What is unique about the suburb
- What are the key points of interest
- What are the schools like and the community facilities – parks, sports and beaches
We are looking for the personal feel and experience from someone who knows the suburb well – politely not a promotion of you. You can complete profiles for more than one suburb if you like.
In return for your help in completing the suburb profile we will make you the featured agent for that suburb for free for the first 3 months of 2009!! – not a big ask – you write some local information – we credit you with that information and we make you the featured agent of that suburb for 3 months!
This service will be launched during January and I will send out an email before hand with more details. So take a few minutes to write down those wonderful facts and information that you all know about your suburb and in doing so you can enhance your profile and gain potential new clients. Get in early so you can be the local expert!
November 27 2008 | New feature and Social Networking | 16 Comments »
On Monday the 1st of December the online real estate market in NZ will change – no longer will the real estate industry have to choose between 3 property portal websites to promote their listings – one of them (www.allrealestate.co.nz) will cease operations and there will be just a choice between 2 major players. Not only is allrealestate.co.nz shutting up shop, but realestate.co.nz will directly benefit as all inbound traffic to allrealestate.co.nz will be directed to realestate.co.nz from visitors in NZ and overseas. This will significantly increase the visitors to realestate.co.nz from December.
This is the time and opportunity for this industry in a unified manner to support one website – a website owned by this industry, supporting this industry and offering this industry the most cost effective and consumer focused website for real estate.
This is also a time for celebration and recognition – to recognise the support this industry has shown in subscribing and promoting realestate.co.nz over the past 2 years since launch – that support, that subscription income has gone 100% towards making the site the best in the market – that success has lead to the exit of a competitor – what better demonstration can there be of success than to vanquish a competitor?!
One step closer to #1!
There has only ever been one objective for realestate.co.nz and that is to be the best, the most valued, and the most comprehensive real estate website in NZ – that goal is within our reach, to have strong competition makes us stronger and we are getting stronger and will in the coming months.
The growth in visitors to the realestate.co.nz website as compared to allrealestate.co.nz over the past 3 years shows exactly why it has been tough for the #3 player in the market. It became a clear case of “if you can’t take the heat – get out of the kitchen!”
The key to the success of any real estate website is comprehensive content and for allrealestate.co.nz this was the problem. This is shown clearly below in average quarterly listings of residential property on each of the 3 websites. Content is still very much king!
Decision by REA Group to close down allrealestate.co.nz
The REA Group is a global leader in the online property portals business operating 22 websites around the world including the clear #1 in Australia – www.realestate.com.au. This company which is 60% owned by News Corp attracts over 9 million unique browsers per month to its collection of websites. The press release sent out last Friday details the terms of the agreement that Realestate.co.nz has reached with REA Group as part of the closure of its website. This marketing alliance will provide REA Group with a reference site of the stature they need to provide access to their global community. For realestate.co.nz this provides enormous visibility for international visitors seeking out NZ property.
It is important to make note that this is a marketing alliance – there is no change in ownership or management of realestate.co.nz. The company remains 100% NZ real estate industry owned – supporting and protecting the NZ industry.
It is also timely to remind all real estate professionals that the realestate.co.nz website is and always will be available to any licensed real estate agent. We do not take any private listings – we are not nor will we be in the future in any way tied to membership of the Real Estate Institute (REINZ). The Institute does own 50% of the shares in the company, however for the website to continue to be the best requires no restrictions on subscription to any licensed agent in NZ.
What this will mean for realestate.co.nz and the industry
This removal of allrealestate.co.nz from the NZ market is fantastic news – it provides a better service to the consumer – people searching for property hate having to visit loads of websites to find the answer to the question” what is on the market”. At this time realestate.co.nz has over 90% of all listings – this will grow as the remaining few office subscribe to feature their listings – that will continue to make realestate.co.nz the best site for content – the one and only website the buyers need to find the full picture. For more details read this post from Unconditional.
For the industry this is fantastic – the industry can save money – no need to spread your marketing dollars across many sites – focus on where the buyers go – the buyers want comprehensive content. In addition with this strengthening of realestate.co.nz the options for competitors to charge more than the subscription of $200 per office per month charged by realestate.co.nz gets tougher – why show any office pay more than $200 per month?
Some key points regarding the battle for the real estate online dollar
- Online is where 80%+ of all real estate searches start
- Google is the leading search engine in NZ – realestate.co.nz has worked relentlessly to ensure that it offers searchers the best answer to these questions – try it yourself – “ask Google for property / homes for sale in you city, town or suburb” – you are far more likely to find a link to realestate.co.nz than any other website.
- Realestate.co.nz delivers more international visitors than Trade me. This advantage will only grow further as the alliance with the 22 REA Group websites and those 9 million+ unique browsers commences
- Realestate delivers value – one fee $200 per office per month, open, transparent and equitable – now and into the future. Compare us to Trade me property – over the past 2 years it has increased fees – single listings have risen from just $49 in 2006, to now $199! And with featured combo that rises to $268!! In the same time the fees for realestate.co.nz have not changed. Think about it Trade me property charges more for a single property listing than we charge for a whole month of all your listings!!
Realestate.co.nz is a NZ owned and operated website – it is constantly being enhanced to deliver results for you – we support you to enable you to close more deals. Just look at these advantages:
- We send emails to your inbox personally – not just a single email account for the office – this ensure you deal to emails immediately, that makes buyers happier
- We actively embrace new technology – we are currently the only property portal to feature videos on the website
- We ensure your listings look their best – customers want rich content – we have no restriction on the number of photos on your listings and with our partnership with Open2view your listings look the best
- We are the only property portal to offer all agents the tools to build your business – with the Voices blog platform any agent can build their referral business
- We provide education and support, we undertake regular presentations and onsite support – because we are a part of the industry not just an media machine
- We were the first property portal website to feature maps – with Google maps the consumer gets the benefit of aerial images and soon Google StreetView
- We don’t feature private listings – we support the industry rather than setting up home owners to compete with you and your business on the same website
We value the support of this industry – we want to help you in your business – please contact us if you have any questions or need our help. We are here for the long term and focused on the #1 position.
November 17 2008 | News | 3 Comments »