Online Listing Presentation

Every listing you upload to realestate.co.nz is not only advertising a property for sale, it is also advertising the service that you provide as a salesperson.  So what I can’t understand is why so many properties are so poorly advertised, particularly in the current market: one or two photos (sometimes none at all), a scant line or two about the property, no features or map displayed. In my mind, anyone adding a listing like that is not someone I would like on my side when I’m trying to sell my home.

In particular, I can’t get my head around listings without photos?  It’s so easy to take a photo these days with digital cameras that there’s not really any excuse.  Maybe it’s not a great day?  Well at least take some photos of the inside of the property initially and then follow up with the outside shots.  Maybe the property is not the most beautiful you’ve ever had to sell?  Fair enough, but would you blindfold people when you take them through the property?

You may be aware that any listings entered onto our site without photos go to the end of the search results.  As the search results automatically default to the latest listings this means that without a photo you may appear on page fifty of the search results – or page two hundred and fifty depending on the search criteria selected! I’m guessing there aren’t very many vendors who would be happy with that result.

Whether intentional or not, a growing number of offices are now getting around this by adding images stating “photos coming soon”, “no image available”, using cartoon houses, pictures of cameras, etc.  To the left is a selection of those images, which have been deleted from listings on the website over the last few days.

Please do not add images like this.  There are many reasons why they are a bad idea.  Firstly, nobody is interested in properties without photos and they don’t want to find them in the search results.  Secondly, we need to trawl through the site to find these pictures and remove them so that they don’t appear.  Thirdly, while these images may be added with the best intentions, we have in the past come across listings which have been on the site for several weeks and are still displaying those images.

As a salesperson, what does that say about your commitment to sell that property?

We’d much rather be using our time to do something more productive, but we will continue to remove these images and ask the offices concerned to stop sending them through.

Luckily, there is one very easy way to help us and at the same time benefit yourself, your vendor and the public – use the resources you have available.

The internet offers you so much potential for advertising your listings, in a way that could never be done in newspapers, property magazines or your office window display.  Think of your online listing as the equivalent of a 24/7 open home.  You can now added unlimited photos to realestate.co.nz.  Not only that, but any photos, virtual tours or floor plans you have on Open2view will be displayed against the listing and you can also add videos to your listings.

Approximately 80% of real estate searches now begin online so why would you focus less attention on your online advertising than you do to printed media?

If you haven’t done so already, visit On Target and read the latest post on embracing the internet.

That’s it, rant over.  Have a great weekend everyone!

July 04 2008 06:42 pm | Admin Hints & Tips

9 Responses to “Online Listing Presentation”

1. Spudooli on 04 Jul 2008 at 7:46 pm #

Another good tip for digital photos, never use the photos as they come out of the camera. Every single photo you take, even with a digital camera, needs some post processing.
    You don’t need to be an expert with potatoshop either. Picnic (http://www.picnik.com/ is a pretty good online and free photo editing system and Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/ is even better and also free.
    Give every photo a small tickle up. They’ll all look much better with a bit of a contrast boost, some sharpening and maybe a vignette.
    Vendors will think you are Ansell Adams!

2. Ross Brader on 04 Jul 2008 at 8:24 pm #

The answer is simple – listings not accepted without photos. I suspect there are many fake listings put up simply to get profile.

3. Ross Brader on 05 Jul 2008 at 11:54 am #

Guilty! Having said that for some strange reason although I sent the photos through to realestate.co.nz my three new listings PPC10213 PPC10211 and PPC10212 have appeared on the site without photos shwoing but I did send them through. They also appear at the TOP of the listings when searching Pt Chevalier.

Maybe it is because the listings are 3 units in the same development and I used the same photos for each or could it be because the 3 units do not yet have separate titles that they do not have mapping available.

I will try renaming the photos for each individual listing and reload and see what happens.

4. helping-hand on 06 Jul 2008 at 1:08 pm #

I see all the photos are appearing now Ross, so it looks like you’ve managed to sort it out. If you do have any more problems uploading let me know.

Kerry

5. seumas on 06 Jul 2008 at 11:39 pm #

I can put high quality video on the net at affordable prices. Check out http://www.videorealestate.co.nz for an example.

6. Kiwiabroad on 07 Jul 2008 at 10:09 am #

I totally agree with Kerry’s comments regarding adding photos, and some information on the property, including essentially the size of the house and section. As a prospective and hopeful buyer, I am both amazed and frustrated at the lack of care some agents put into properties which could otherwise draw my attention. The internet is my only first point tool available so I am sorry, but if you can’t be bothered, and that is what it looks like, neither can I. There are plenty of other properties with agents who do make the effort. (and sometimes other agents representing the same property) Same goes to replying to the information request available through the website. I’m not going to call your office because you can not be bothered replying to my email request. A property I am currently looking at, looked pretty awfull inside from the photos, so I sent my family around to confirm that this can indeed be fixed by a few coats of paint, and is actually not a bad property. Let the buyers be the judges, if this is indeed your excuse, and not that you can not be bothered.

7. Sharon James on 07 Jul 2008 at 10:33 am #

Kerry, you are so right. It would be even more frustrating for home owners to know that buyers who have set up a “new-listing” alert are being sent a cartoon image of their house rather than the real thing. Those buyers who are actively looking would simply scim over that listing and move on to the next house.

8. Helping Hand » Selling Property in Today’s Market - Part 1 on 08 Jul 2008 at 5:16 pm #

[…] with adding very little information or photos to their online listings.  If you’ve read my previous post, you’ll know how I feel about that!  This is no longer something you can get away […]

9. On Target » Connect SF08 - Super Size Search on 28 Jul 2008 at 3:40 am #

[…] (As an aside Kerry Kissane on her blog “Helping Hand” wrote an article on just this subject last week and has introduced a “Hall of Shame” weekly highlight of how the industry needs to lift its game! – have a read). […]

Trackback URI | Comments RSS