After much anticipation and excitement, the start of term two has seen the opening of Shirley Boys’ and Avonside Girls’ High Schools on the all-new campus in QEII Park. In just under two years we have watched these state-of-the-art facilities evolve from the remains of the former QEII Sports Stadium. The two schools share some spaces while allowing each other to maintain their own identity; a first for New Zealand education.
Servicing the north-eastern catchment areas for over 100 years, Avonside Girls’ first acquisition dates back as far as 1918 and Shirley Boys’ was first established in 1957. Obviously, the Canterbury earthquake sequence has been the catalyst for this new landmark development. Full credit to the main drivers behind this project who have shown great foresight and initiative.
Driving by recently just after school was out, the local streets were awash with students, not to mention the back to back bus layby. Certainly, a real buzz of activity and positive energy that can only be good for the greater north-east of the city.
The new campus provides two theatres, two gymnasiums with one that can be divided for multi-use and there’s even a climbing wall. Amongst several playing fields there is also as a full-sized hockey field and numerous tennis courts.
The new location to support a combined roll of 2,400, has also meant that new zones have been rolled out accordingly. While there is hot debate as to what suburbs should be included, the transitional zone extends from just north of Queenspark School to the end of South New Brighton, including South New Brighton, Rawhiti, Waitakiri and Parkview Schools. Moving forward many families propose that the future zone includes the existing Avonside Girls and Shirley Boys zones plus the Marshland catchment area.
There’s a community open night scheduled for Thursday 23rd May – we can’t wait to have a look through!