The house hunting process has changed drastically in recent years with the rise of the Internet and the power of mobile. Buyers are equipping themselves with the best tools on offer to secure their slice of the pie.
Serious home buyers are turning to mobile apps to browse listings straight from their smartphone or tablet, more so than their computer. According to Brendon Skipper, CEO of Realestate.co.nz, “Mobile app users have increased by 45% since the same time last year, and we’ve found they’re visiting the app more than twice as often as desktop users are visiting the site.”
The ability for Realestate.co.nz app users to check listings at any time of the day, and from anywhere is a gamechanger in a market where getting in quick can be the difference between finding your dream property and missing out.
6 smartphone tips to get ahead when house hunting:
1. Setting up ‘Saved Searches and Alerts’ on Realestate.co.nz means you’ll receive automatic updates to your inbox when properties that meet your set criteria are listed.
2. Saving properties of interest in ‘My Properties’ means you can easily refer back to them later.
3. When planning your weekend of viewings, add open home times directly to your smartphone’s calendar via the Realestate.co.nz app. This way you won’t miss out on any viewings, or double-book yourself. You can also use Google Maps to find the shortest distance between all your open home locations and have it saved, creating a handy itinerary to work from.
4. To avoid frustration, keep your phone charged when you are out and about. Invest in a car charger or a portable charger, download a power saving app (click here for IOS and here for Android) and turn off features such as Bluetooth that drain your battery.
5. Keep both visual and written notes to help stay on top of your options. After a long day of house hunting, all the properties you’ve seen can blur into one. Taking photos and notes while the details are still fresh in your mind is a simple way of staying on track.
6. If you’ve got an hour to kill between open homes, check out the properties near you by clicking on ‘Map’ in the Realestate.co.nz app. You might just stumble upon an unexpected opportunity, or at the very least, get to know the area a bit better.