Securing suitable long-term tenants for rental properties is an important aspect of property management. There are five essential steps entailed when completing this process to reduce the risk of rent arrears and damage to property.
- Run an effective marketing programme
- Provide a detailed tenant application form
- Confirm applicants identity and keep a copy of their photo ID
- Contact all employment and accommodation referees to verify references supplied by the prospective tenant
- Complete a credit check through an authorised credit agency and search for any prior Tenancy Tribunal Orders at http://www.tenancytribunal.govt.nz/.